Collings Guitars D3 Alaskan - 14360
Collings Guitars D3 Alaskan
Designed by Artisan Guitars & built in limited quantities; this custom built Collings Guitars D3 Alaskan model is truly a "one of a kind" cannon that features a beautiful reclaimed Alaskan Glacier Sitka Blue Spruce Top. The Collings Guitars D3 Alaskan features a beautiful east Indian Rosewood set & 3-Style appointments that only accentuate the Bluish/Grey hues of the Blue Spruce top.
Throughout much of the 20th century, Southeast Alaska’s sheltered bays and coves were home to a large number of floating structures that supported the area’s fish trapping and logging industries. These camps were built upon long Sitka spruce logs that spent over half a century floating in the saltwater, being towed from place to place as the weather and waters allowed.
But as the need for these structures dwindled in recent decades, the camps were either sold for “float house living” or purchased for salvage. In the latter case, it was discovered upon disassembly that, due to decades of floating in the saltwater, boards cut from many of the spruce logs had taken on a dark bluish/greyish hue. A very limited number even contained striking bearclaw figure.
With the rarity of this find in mind, Collings Guitars had originally planned for 6 special run instruments, but after the tremendous success of this limited run, Collings Guitars & Artisan Guitars have come together to design 3 special Alaskan models exclusive to Artisan Guitars.
Top: Alaskan Glacier Sitka Blue Spruce
- Back & Sides: E. Indian rosewood
- Neck: Honduran mahogany
- Body Binding: Ivoroid with b/w/b/w/b purfling
- Fingerboard Binding: .060" ivoroid
- Peghead Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Bridge: Ebony belly-style with 2 3/16" spacing
Fingerboard: Ebony w/ Long Pattern Abalone Diamonds & Squares
- Bridge Pins/End Pin: Ebony with abalone dot
Nut: Bone, 1 3/4"
- Saddle: Bone, drop-in
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Peghead Profile: Tapered square with volute
- Neck Joint: Mortise & tenon hybrid
- Truss Rod: Fully adjustable
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
Peghead Veneer: Stained Exotic Ebony with Abalone Collings logo
Tuners: Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Backstrip: 3-style (Chevron)
- Rosette: Abalone
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Brace Material: Sitka spruce
- Brace Pattern: Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" - 26" compound
- Body Finish: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Neck Finish: High gloss polyester resin
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Strings: D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"- .056")
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by TKL