Collings Guitars OM3 Alaskan - 14347
Collings Guitars OM3 Alaskan
Built in limited quantities by Collings Guitars, this OM3 Alaskan model sure is a "1 of a kind" guitar that features a beautiful reclaimed Alaskan Glacier Sitka Spruce Top. If you've been looking to get a Collings OM that is unique and special, then this Collings Guitars OM3 Alaskan is the one for you!
Throughout much of the 20th century, Southeast Alaska’s sheltered bays and coves were home to a large number of floating structures that supported the area’s fish trapping and logging industries. These camps were built upon long Sitka spruce logs that spent over half a century floating in the saltwater, being towed from place to place as the weather and waters allowed.
But as the need for these structures dwindled in recent decades, the camps were either sold for “float house living” or purchased for salvage. In the latter case, it was discovered upon disassembly that, due to decades of floating in the saltwater, boards cut from many of the spruce logs had taken on a dark bluish/greyish hue. A very limited number even contained striking bearclaw figure.
With the rarity of this find in mind, Collings decided to build a unique collection of six special guitars. This OM3 Alaskan will showcase one of these bearclaw-figured, reclaimed Alaskan Glacier Sitka spruce tops, along with highly-figured flamed mahogany back and sides and other matching appointments.
Top: Alaskan Glacier Sitka Spruce
Back & Sides: Highly Figured Flame Mahogany
- Neck: Honduran mahogany
- Body Binding: Ivoroid with b/w/b/w/b purfling
- Fingerboard Binding: .060" ivoroid
- Peghead Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Bridge: Ebony belly-style with 2 3/16" spacing
Fingerboard: Ebony w/ Banjo Inlays
- Bridge Pins/End Pin: Ebony with abalone dot
Nut: Bone, 1 3/4"
- Saddle: Bone, drop-in
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Peghead Profile: Tapered square with volute
- Neck Joint: Mortise & tenon hybrid
- Truss Rod: Fully adjustable
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer: Stained Exotic Ebony with MOP Collings logo
Tuners: Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Backstrip: 3-style (Chevron)
- Rosette: Abalone
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Brace Material: Sitka spruce
- Brace Pattern: Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" - 26" compound
- Body Finish: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Neck Finish: High gloss polyester resin
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Strings: D'Addario EJ-16 (.012"- .053")
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by TKL
- Serial: 31093