2008 Martin D18 VS Sitka and Mahogany ID-6425
2008 Martin D18 VS Sitka and Mahogany
The very first Dreadnought guitars (named for a class of World War I era British battleships, "Dreadnought") were manufactured by Martin for the Oliver Ditson Company, a publishing firm based in Boston. Curiously enough, the guitars weren't sold with the Martin name on them, but rather were marketed in Boston and New York under the Oliver Ditson brand name, beginning in 1916. These Dreadnoughts did not even include a Martin serial number, but instead used Ditson’s own serial numbering system. They continued to appear in the Ditson catalog until the company's demise in the late 1920s. These Dreadnoughts were quite different in appearance from their modern offspring: The bodies were elongated to accommodate a wide, 12–fret neck (12 frets clear of the body) with a slotted peghead. The early Dreadnoughts also had a different soundhole rosette and inlay pattern, and had no pickguard. All of these Dreadnoughts had mahogany backs and sides and spruce tops, like a modern D–18. The VS version is a modified version of the popular Martin D-18 dreadnaught. Body construction is gloss mahogany back and sides with a choice Sitka spruce top. However the Martin D-18-VS version has a slightly slope shoulder body shape and is fitted with a 12 fret neck, slightly wider 1-3/4 nutwidth and beautiful slotted headstock. The 12 fret body design moves the bridge into a more central location on the top, giving you substantially more bass than on a similarly sized 14 fret body joint guitar.
This vintage series guitar has aged toner and other special appointments such as the tortoise shell design body binding, cut through saddle and the Waverly vintage open gear tuners. Sonically this guitar is a cannon. The sound is quite well defined and clear, not boomy. The wide neck is perfect for finger style playing and the mahogany body produces a wonderfully warm and woody tone.
This 2008 Martin D18 VS is in excellent condition with the exception of some slight binding separation on the top and a few minor, barely visible scratches. Additionally, this guitar has minor fret wear. Please review the detailed photographs below. Original hardshell case is included.
- Serial: 1350082
- Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
- Back Wood: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Nut Width: 1 3/4"
- Scale: 25.4"
- Year: 2008
- Bracing: Standard "X" Scalloped
- Inlays: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Rosette: Old Style 18
- Neck Wood: Select Hardwood
- Fretboard: Ebony Fingerboard and Bridge
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone
- Saddle Spacing: 16" Radius/Bone - Drop-In Long Saddle
- Bridge: Vintage Belly w/ Drop-In Long Saddle
- Bridge Pins: Black w/ White Dots
- Tuners: Waverly Nickel Side Mounts w/ Butterbean Knobs
- Body Binding: Tortoise-style Binding
- Pickguard: Tortoise Color - Beveled & Polished
- Headstock Shape: Slotted/Square Slots/Square Taper
- Headstock Overlay: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Small Old Style
- Headstock Inlay: Martin Logo
- Frets To Body: 12
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Body Depth: 4 7/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 15 5/8"
- Body Length: 21"
- Total Length: 40 3/8"
- Case: Original Geib-style 540 case