Collings 02H Sitka Spruce and Indian Rosewood ID-7094
Collings 02H Sitka Spruce and Indian Rosewood
With the exception of the Baby, the 0 is the smallest guitar from Collings and is offered with the same shorter scale found on the 12-fret 00. Although measuring only 13.5 inches in width (smaller than a typical classical guitar), the Collings 0 has tone and volume that belies its first impression as being less than full-sized. It can double as a travel guitar or a small OM, performing both roles equally well. Collings Single 0 series guitars are always highly impressive, projecting an almost unbelievable sound that is full of low end with an overall tone that is focused, powerful, and highly responsive. This Collings 02H is no different.
This guitar features a Sitka Spruce top and Indian Rosewood back and sides. The sitka top is great for players who desire a balanced tone, coupled with the quicker string response that Sitka spruce can offer.
The soundboard (sitka) on this guitar produces a nice round low end that is powerful and very rich in tone. The back and sides feature a gorgeous set of Indian Rosewood. Rosewood is associated with rich, deep bases and sparkling high end with lots of power.
This instrument features custom Adirondack braces, and no tongue brace. Adirondack braces are thinner and lighter making the guitar much more resonant and open.
As people search for the mythical tone of old guitars, the tongue brace comes into scrutiny. Martin added the tongue brace in 1940 and it has become standard every since. The absence of a tongue brace frees the top to allow enhanced vibration and results in a richer, fuller, tone with more low end resonance.
This is a great feature for players who may be looking for a compromise between the mahogany and rosewood dreadnoughts. It is speculated that Martin added the brace to prevent top cracking, but the years have proven this to have been unnecessary and actually decreases resonation.
This guitar is very responsive and will suit the needs of fingerstyle players very well. The Sitka Spruce top can also take an impressive amount of flatpicking, though the 0 body size is more suited to players with a lighter touch. Tone is very clear with a vibrant and pleasant high end and just enough lows to balance the tone across the fretboard.
- Shipping Weight: 68
- Serial: 21213
- Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
- Back Wood: Indian Rosewood
- Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Scale: 24 7/8"
- Bracing: Adirondack Braces
- Inlays: Mother of pearl diamond and square fingerboard inlays
- Rosette: Cross-cut grained ivoroid and wood nitrate strip rosette
- Neck Wood: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone Drop In
- Saddle Spacing: 2 3/16"
- Bridge: Ebony
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Purfling: Herringbone
- Body Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Fretboard Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Pickguard: Tortoise-style Pickguard Loose In Case
- Backstrip: Matching 2-style backstrip
- Headstock Shape: Square headstock with volute and 15 degree headstock angle
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Collings Logo
- Frets To Body: 14
- Neck Profile: Modified V neck profile
- Body Depth: 4 1/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 13 7/16"
- Body Length: 18 3/16"
- Total Length: 38"
- Case: Hardshell Case Included
- Misc. 1: Fully adjustable truss rod
- Misc. 2: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Misc. 3: Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint