Collings Baby 2H Short Scale ID - 5099
Collings Baby 2H Short Scale
Collings smallest model is a rarity among fractional size guitars: most listeners never guess that it's not a full-size instrument unless they see it being played. The Collings Baby is approximately a 3/4 size version of their OM, 12 1/2 inches wide in the lower bout with a 24 1/8 inch scale, and the headstock and bridge are scaled to match. Sometimes the Baby is used as a travel guitar, but it often sees duty as a songwriter's tool, the guitar that's ready at a moment's notice and can be played while seated in any position.
Upon arrival at Artisan, we were all extremely impressed with this small-bodied wonder. We find the tone to be quite large compared to what we expected out of such a small guitar. The low end is remarkable, even on par with many of the single and 00 models we see come through the shop. This is a guitar you can sit and play for hours on end without fatigue, thanks to the small profile and short-scale length. It's almost impossible to put down and offers many creative possibilities that you may not come up with on larger guitars.
The Sitka Spruce top is highly responsive and can handle moderate flatpicking quite well with a clear and round tone, although the guitar practically begs to be played fingerstyle with notes that seem to leap from the small sound cavity of this baby all the way up the neck.
- Select Sitka spruce
- East Indian rosewood back and sides
- Grained ivoroid binding
- Herringbone trim with matching backstrip
- Cross-cut grained ivoroid and wood nitrate strip rosette
- Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Tortoise-style pickguard
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany Neck
- Brazilian rosewood peghead overlay
- Mother-of-pearl Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard and bridge
- Traditional diamond and square fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Bone nut and drop-in saddle
- Ebony bridge pins and end pin
- Nickel Waverly tuners
- Body Length: 17 1/8"
- Body Depth: 3 15/16"
- Lower Bout Width: 12 1/2"
- Total Length: 36 1/2"
- Scale Length: 24 1/8"
- Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Serial: 17276