Collings Custom SJ Adirondack and European Maple ID-6733
Collings Custom SJ Adirondack and European Maple
The SJ is Collings' version of what is commonly called a Small Jumbo. Although the 16 inch lower bout is slightly wider than a dreadnought, and the sides almost as deep, the tight curve at the waist creates in a very different sound chamber. SJs typically have a more pronounced midrange response when compared to a dreadnought, which translates into more note definition. Players looking for the bass and overall volume of a large guitar, but with lots of treble clarity and midrange crunch, often find just what they need in the curvaceous SJ. This Custom Collings SJ features a custom Adirondack top. Adirondack Spruce is the legendary tonewood used on the early guitars we have all grown to love. The stiffness to weight ratio makes Adirondack great for players who dig in a bit harder and desire virtually unlimited headroom. Combined with Maple Back and Sides this guitar has a very warm, yet defined bass response with very present clear trebles. We chose to use the standard Sitka bracing to allow for a more responsive top, while still retaining the power, clarity, and punch that Collings' Adi topped guitars are known for.
This guitar has a monstrous overall sound, while still maintaining a even balance across the spectrum. We found it incredibly easy to strum, fingerpick, play jazz chord melodies, flat pick, you name it. It was described by one of our player's as; "being able to level a city block!"
The custom appointments on this Custom SJ are a very rich and colorful full body sunburst, long dot inlays, gold waverly tuners, and a flouish peghead inlay to top it all off. Additionally, The 1 11/16" standard nut width has been upgraded to a 1 3/4" for easier fingering of chord shapes.
- Serial: 19827
- Top Wood: Adirondack Spruce
- Back Wood: European Maple
- Nut Width: 1 3/4"
- Scale: 25 1/2"
- Bracing: Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Inlays: Modern diamond fingerboard and peghead inlays
- Rosette: Matching Ivoroid Rosette
- Neck Wood: Flame Maple
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone
- Bridge: Ebony
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Tuners: Gold Waverly
- Purfling: Black/white wood strip purfling
- Body Binding: Grained ivoroid bindings
- Fretboard Binding: Double Bound
- Headstock Binding: Double Bound
- Pickguard: Tortoise Style
- Backstrip: 3-Style Backstrip
- Headstock Shape: Collings Haircut
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Flourish Inlay
- Frets To Body: 14
- Body Depth: 4 1/2"
- Lower Bout Width: 16"
- Body Length: 20 1/8
- Total Length: 41"
- Case: Hardshell Case Included
- Misc. 1: Full Body Sunburst
- Misc. 2: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish