Collings Guitars 003 14-Fret Alaskan Blue Spruce - 14884
Collings Guitars 003 14-Fret Alaskan Blue Spruce
Throughout the 20th century, many of the fish trappers and loggers of Southeast Alaska lived on the water in float-houses in remote logging camps. These float-houses were made buoyant by long, Sitka Spruce logs that spent upwards of half a century submerged in saltwater. In some instances large iron spikes were driven into the logs which created a bluish gray tint in the wood due to oxidation and leaching from the iron. This iron laden wood is in very short supply and very high demand and makes an absolutely stunning, one of a kind instrument.
This 003 14-Fret model from Collings was made following their initial run of 6 guitars to introduce this species to their customers. The blue tint and grain structure on this top is spectacular and begs to be gawked at. Combined with the dark stained mahogany back and sides, this guitar is quite the looker. However this beauty has substance as well. When you sit down and pluck her strings she wants to sing. The mahogany brings a very pleasing clarity to the mid range and that blue top has a certain je ne sais quoi.
In all of the world there will be a very limited supply of guitars made from this wood. And this one makes absolutely no compromises in it's looks, sound and feel.
- Model: 003 14-Fret
- Serial #: 31675
- Finish: High Gloss Nitro
- Top Wood: Reclaimed Alaskan Blue Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides Wood: Dark Stained Mahogany
- Neck Wood: Dark Stained Mahogany
- Fingerboard Wood: Ebony
- Bridge Wood: Ebony
- Peghead Overlay: Stained Exotic Ebony
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone
- Body Binding: Ivoroid
- Fingerboard Binding: Ivoroid
- Peghead Binding: Ivoroid w/ b/w Purfling
- Purfling: B/W/B/W/B
- Rosette: Abalone
- Fingerboard Inlay: Abalone Short Diamond & Squares
- Peghead Inlay: Abalone Logo
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Bridge Pins: Ebony w/ Abalone Dots
- Backstrip: 3-Style Chevron
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Nut Width: 1 3/4"
- Scale: 24 7/8"
- Saddle Spacing: -
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly (16:1 Ratio)
- Pickup: None
- Strings: D'Addario EJ-16 (.012"-.053")
- Case: Deluxe Hardshell Case by TKL