Collings Guitars CJ35 SB German Spruce and Mahogany Short Scale ID-7078
Collings CJ35 SB German Spruce and Mahogany Short Scale
The Collings Jumbo, or CJ, is their interpretation of the classic slope-shouldered dreadnought, a shape that has enjoyed popularity for many years. While the Collings CJ is similar in shape and depth to the traditional dreadnought, it has a distinctly different tone, determined by the rounded shoulders, bridge placement, sound-hole position, body depth, and slightly wider (16") lower bout.
Despite its large size this model works well with the shorter scale lengths, resulting in a somewhat percussive bottom end ideal for acoustic blues or other styles that benefit from a more controlled bass response. The iconic slope dreadnoughts of the 60's were popular for playing styles from finger picking to strumming chords, for blues, ballads, pop, & more... These styles live on today in the modern Americana & roots music movements.
We are pleased to present this Collings CJ35 as a result from a collaboration between Bill Collings and Jim Baggett wherein Collings used one of Mr. Baggett's personal vintage J-35's as the inspiration for a lighter, woodier-sounding slope-shouldered dread. Designed as a short scale classic, the new Collings CJ35 is a powerhouse of a slope shouldered dread, with a focused, mid-range boom and open responsiveness not often found in a new guitar. Take the dry, hollow sound of a great vintage instrument, add a little sparkle and fatness to the trebles, and you'll have some idea of the tone for the new CJ35.
This Collings CJ35 features a custom German Spruce top paired with Mahogany back and sides. We love German Spruce here at Artisan because it not only offers a rich and complex tone, but is versatile for many different playing styles. German Spruce offers exceptional stiffness together with low weight making the tops more responsive. We often find German to be a perfect compromise between Sitka and Adirondack, since it responds so well to fingerstyle playing and also holds up to a heavy pick attack.
This instrument features a 24 7/8" scale, lessening overall string tension for ease of fretting with your left hand while providing a quick response to light attack with your right hand. The sound is compressed significantly and the short scale makes me feel like a real guitar player. It’s really amazing what a fraction of an inch can do, giving you easier reach and less tension.
Additional appointments include the Wenge (African Rosewood) fretboard and bridge, Tigerstripe pick guard, nickel Waverly tuners with Ivoroid buttons, Ivoroid body binding and matching rosette (nitrocellulose high gloss body finish) and Ivoroid bridge pins.
- Shipping Weight: 68 lbs
- Serial: 21176
- Top Wood: German Spruce
- Back Wood: Mahogany
- Nut Width: 1 3/4"
- Scale: 24 7/8"
- Bracing: Pre-war straight bracing with 3 tone bars with abbreviated tongue brace & abbreviated bridge plate
- Inlays: Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Rosette: Simple ivoroid rosette
- Neck Wood: Mahogany neck
- Fretboard: African Rosewood fingerboard 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone
- Saddle Spacing: 2 5/16" string spacing
- Bridge: African Rosewood Straight Style Bridge
- Bridge Pins: Ivoroid
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly tuners with ivoroid buttons and 16:1 ratio
- Body Binding: Grained Ivoroid top & back
- Fretboard Binding: Unbound
- Headstock Binding: Unbound
- Pickguard: Tigerstripe celluloid pickguard
- Backstrip: Style 1 Walnut Backstrip
- Headstock Shape: Collings Haircut Peghead 15 degree headstock angle
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Mother of Pearl Collings Logo inlay
- Frets To Body: 14
- Neck Profile: Vintage inspired neck profile
- Body Depth: 4 7/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 16"
- Body Length: 20 1/8"
- Total Length: 41"
- Case: Collings Deluxe Hard-shell Case
- 15 Degree Headstock Angle
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Sunburst Top
- D'Addario EJ-17 medium gauge strings