Collings Guitars CJ35 SB German Spruce and Mahogany Short Scale ID-7260
Collings CJ35 SB German Spruce and Mahogany Short Scale
The pre-war era of American flattop guitar making has come to be known as "golden" for a reason. Lauded for its short but brilliant periods of construction innovation, the years from 1930-1942 were filled with new instrument runs that featured bracing, fret access and body dimension changes that would define the features and sounds of the modern acoustic guitar. Emerging out of our fascination with this era of guitar making history, We are proud to introduce the Collings CJ35. Available with a mahogany back and slope-shouldered body, this new variation of the CJ model incorporates a non-scalloped bracing configuration featuring three tone bars and a short 24 7/8" scale length.
This new design provides the CJ35 with a beautiful balance of deep piano-like bass and powerful full-bodied highs, complimented by a focused dynamic range for exceptionally even note projection. As a result, the CJ35 is one of Colling's most versatile large-bodied guitars, well suited to both fingerstyle and strumming techniques.
This Collings CJ35 features a custom German Spruce top paired with Mahogany back and sides. We love German Spruce here at Artisan because it not only offers a rich and complex tone, but is versatile for many different playing styles. German Spruce offers exceptional stiffness together with low weight making the tops more responsive. We often find German to be a perfect compromise between Sitka and Adirondack, since it responds so well to fingerstyle playing and also holds up to a heavy pick attack.
This instrument features a 24 7/8" scale, lessening overall string tension for ease of fretting with your left hand while providing a quick response to light attack with your right hand. The sound is compressed significantly and the short scale makes me feel like a real guitar player. It’s really amazing what a fraction of an inch can do, giving you easier reach and less tension.
Additional appointments include the Wenge (African Rosewood) fretboard and bridge, Tigerstripe pick guard, nickel Waverly tuners with Ivoroid buttons, Ivoroid body binding and matching rosette (nitrocellulose high gloss body finish) and Ivoroid bridge pins.
- Shipping Weight: 68 lbs
- Serial: 21417
- Top Wood: German Spruce
- Back Wood: Mahogany
- Nut Width: 1 3/4"
- Scale: 24 7/8"
- Bracing: Pre-war non-scalloped Adirondack bracing with 3 tone bars
- Inlays: Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Rosette: Simple ivoroid rosette
- Neck Wood: Mahogany neck
- Fretboard: African Rosewood fingerboard 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone
- Saddle Spacing: 2 5/16" string spacing
- Bridge: African Rosewood Straight Style Bridge
- Bridge Pins: Ivoroid
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly tuners with ivoroid buttons and 16:1 ratio
- Body Binding: Ivoroid top & back
- Fretboard Binding: Unbound
- Headstock Binding: Unbound
- Pickguard: Tigerstripe celluloid pickguard
- Backstrip: 1-Style Walnut Backstrip
- Headstock Shape: Collings Haircut Peghead 15 degree headstock angle
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Mother of Pearl Collings Logo inlay
- Frets To Body: 14
- Neck Profile: Vintage inspired neck profile
- Body Depth: 4 7/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 16"
- Body Length: 20 1/8"
- Total Length: 41"
- Case: Collings Deluxe Hard-shell Case
- Misc. 1: 15 Degree Headstock Angle
- Misc. 2: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Misc. 3: Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- Misc. 4: Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Misc. 5: Fully adjustable truss rod
- Misc. 6: Sunburst Top
- Misc. 7: Abbreviated tongue brace