Collings Guitars OM3 Alaskan
Designed by Artisan Guitars and built in limited quantities, this custom built Collings Guitars OM3 Alaskan model is every guitar player's dream instrument! The special designed OM3 features a beautiful reclaimed Alaskan Glacier Sitka Blue Spruce Top combined with a Sinker Mahogany back and sides, giving you a rich tonal palate and sonic clarity from wood that has spent a majority of its life underwater!
Throughout much of the 20th century, Southeast Alaska’s sheltered bays and coves were home to a large number of floating structures that supported the area’s fish trapping and logging industries. These camps were built upon long Sitka spruce logs that spent over half a century floating in the saltwater, being towed from place to place as the weather and waters allowed.
As the need for these structures dwindled in recent decades, the camps were either sold for “float house living” or purchased for salvage. In the latter case, it was discovered upon disassembly that, due to decades of floating in the saltwater, boards cut from many of the spruce logs had taken on a dark bluish/greyish hue. A very limited number even contained striking bearclaw figure.
With the rarity of this find in mind, Collings Guitars had originally planned for 6 special run instruments, but after the tremendous success of this limited run, Collings Guitars and Artisan Guitars have come together to design 3 special Alaskan models exclusive to Artisan Guitars.
- Top: Alaskan Glacier Sitka Blue Spruce
- Back & Sides: Sinker Mahogany
- Neck: Honduran mahogany
- Body Binding: Tortoise
- Fingerboard Binding: Tortoise
- Peghead Binding: Tortoise
- Bridge: Ebony belly-style with 2 3/16" spacing
- Fingerboard: Ebony w/ Long Pattern Abalone Diamonds and Squares
- Bridge Pins/End Pin: Ebony with abalone dot
- Nut: Bone, 1 3/4"
- Saddle: Bone, drop-in
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Peghead Profile: Tapered square with volute
- Neck Joint: Mortise and tenon hybrid
- Truss Rod: Fully adjustable
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer: Stained Exotic Ebony with Abalone Collings logo
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Backstrip: 3-style (Chevron)
- Rosette: Abalone
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Brace Material: Sitka spruce
- Brace Pattern: Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" - 26" compound
- Body Finish: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Neck Finish: High gloss polyester resin
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Strings: D'Addario EJ-16 (.012"- .053")
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by TKL
- Serial: 31693