Collings MT2V with Varnish Finish and Tangerine Burst Pre-Owned 2013 ID-7086
MT2V is Collings' fully appointed A-model, built with an Adirondack Red Spruce top and Custom Birdseye Maple back and sides and finished with a hand-rubbed varnish.
The luthiers at Collings use an alkyd resin varnish on their varnish finished mandolins and guitars. It does not have the sheen or gloss of lacquer, but has a deeper looking luster like early oil varnishes from the 1800s or the early Loar instruments.
The process takes a lot more time, both in application and drying, and is certainly not conducive to volume production. The difference in tone, however, more than make up for this. The varnish creates a faster response with deeper and warmer treble, and a greater overall dynamic range.
This mandolin has a tone that is rich in low mids and very smooth in the treble range. The Varnish finish makes the Collings MT2 that much warmer, making the tone sound much deeper with lots of warmth and definition. A custom nut width of 1 3/16" gives your left hand plenty of room to fret notes cleanly and accurately and is especially nice when transitioning from guitar to a mandolin.
This Collings MT2V also features nickel tuners with ebony buttons, Tortoise body, peghead and pickguard binding with b/w purfling, and a gorgeous Tangerine Burst, which aside from being both functional and visual, actually balances the tone when recordings, similar to engaging a high-pass filter on the microphone.
It reduces proximity effect, or the boominess that can arise when recording close miked. The pickguard will also do an exceptional job at protecting the beautiful varnish finish.
This Collings MT2V with Varnish Finish and Tangerine Burst Pre-Owned 2013 is in Excellent + Condition with no wear to mention. This Mandolin was very well looked after and maintained.
- Shipping Weight: 47
- Serial: A2664
- Top Wood: Adirondack Spruce
- Back Wood: Birds Eye Maple
- Nut Width: 1 3/16""
- Scale: 13 7/8"
- Bracing: Tone Bars Bracing
- Inlays: Dot fingerboard inlays
- Neck Wood: Maple
- Fretboard: Ebony 5 1/2"-11 5/8" Compound fingerboard radius
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Spacing: 1 9/16"
- Bridge: Adjustable Ebony with Solid Base
- Tuners: Nickel Tuners with Ebony Buttons
- Purfling: B/W
- Body Binding: Tortoise
- Headstock Binding: Tortoise
- Pickguard: Ebony Pickguard Bound in Tortise with B/W Purfle
- Headstock Shape: Bound Haircut Headstock
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Collings Logo / Flourish peghead inlay
- Neck Profile: V Shaped neck profile
- Body Depth: 1 13/16"
- Lower Bout Width: 9 15/16"
- Body Length: 12 7/8"
- Total Length: 27 7/16"
- Case: Hardshell Case Included
- Misc. 1: High Gloss Varnish Finish
- Misc. 2: F-Holes
- Misc. 3: Nickel Single Line Hand-engraved Collings tailpiece
- Misc. 4: Adjustable truss rod
- Misc. 5: Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Misc. 6: Recommended string gauge - D'Addario J-74 (.011"-.040")