Collings OM1 Sitka Spruce and Mahogany ID-7238
Collings OM1 Sitka Spruce and Mahogany
The Collings OM1 is a classic Collings model, a shop favorite, and while it takes it's inspiration from the original models, Collings has subtly upgraded these with their signature style, and tone. OM stands for Orchestra Model, but 80 years after this body shape was first designed it has become the most popular 14-fret model with fingerstyle guitar soloists who choose to play on steel strings. Collings has transformed the standard OM, into a true "do it all" instrument.
This OM1 packs a serious punch, with killer volume and presence - easily acting as a dreadnought alternative. This OM1 has a superb balance and clarity, each note stands out in chordal accompaniment, as well as lead lines.
With a Sitka Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides, this guitar has a clear, focused tone that is rich in lows without overpowering the balanced high end.
The Sitka Spruce top on this instrument responds well to fingerstyle and moderate flatpicking, with round notes and lush chords up and down the neck. The Collings OM1 models are always some of the most versatile instruments in the shop, and this one is no different.... it will be right at home in jam circles, on stage, or in the studio, regardless the style of music.
This guitar has custom Adirondack Bracing . This is a powerful combination equating to a dramatic increase in power and pure tone. Adirondack Braces are lighter and stiffer than Sitka, therefore they are more responsive and offer a more efficient transfer of energy through the top.
We are also a big fan of leaving the tongue brace out of these instruments. As people search for the mythical tone of old guitars, this brace comes into scrutiny. Martin added the tongue brace in 1940 and it has become standard every since. The absence of a tongue brace frees the top to allow enhanced vibration and results in a richer, fuller, tone with more low end resonance. It is speculated that Martin added the brace to prevent top cracking, but the years have proven this to have been unnecessary and actually decreases resonation.
This Collings OM1 is simply appointed with Tortoise style body and fretboard binding, an ebony fretboard and headstock overlay, finished off with Nickel Waverly tuners. The 1 11/16" standard nut width has been upgraded to a 1 3/4" nut for easier fingering of chord shapes.
- Shipping Weight: 68 lbs
- Serial: 21445
- Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
- Back Wood: Honduran Mahogany
- Nut Width: 1 3/4"
- Scale: 25 1/2"
- Bracing: Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Inlays: MOP Dot fingerboard inlays
- Rosette: Black/white wood nitrate strip rosette
- Neck Wood: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Ebony 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone
- Saddle Spacing: 2 1/4"
- Bridge: Ebony Belly-Style
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Purfling: Black/white wood purfling
- Body Binding: Tortoise style binding
- Fretboard Binding: Tortoise style binding
- Pickguard: Tortoise-style pickguard loose in case
- Backstrip: 1-style walnut backstrip
- Headstock Shape: Square headstock with no volute 15 degree headstock angle
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Collings Logo
- Frets To Body: 14
- Neck Profile: Modified V neck profile
- Body Depth: 4 1/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 15"
- Body Length: 19 1/4"
- Total Length: 39 1/2"
- Case: Hardshell Case Included
- Misc. 1: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Misc. 2: Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- Misc. 3: Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire