Collings SJ with German Spruce and Indian Rosewood ID-6435
Collings SJ with German Spruce and Indian Rosewood
The SJ is Collings' version of what is commonly called a small Jumbo. Although the 16 inch lower bout is slightly wider than a dreadnought, and the sides almost as deep, the tight curve at the waist creates in a very different sound chamber. SJs boast a tremendous volume and mid-range response. The beautiful thing about this guitar is it's surprising bass response. Players looking for the bass and overall volume of a large guitar, but with lots of treble clarity and midrange crunch, often find just what they need in the curvaceous Collings SJ.
This guitar features a German Spruce top, one of our favorite choices for topwood. German Spruce has a stiffness to weight ratio that falls somewhere between Sitka and Adirondack, making it an ideal compromise for many playing styles. German is stiff enough to handle heavy flatpicking, but also responds very well to fingerstyle players as well. When combined with Indian Rosewood back and sides, it produces a lush low end that is clear and powerful.
Collings makes guitars with such superb tone and aesthetics. The craftmanship is top notch and comes out in the tone, playability, and feel of their great instrument. This guitar is truly a great one to add to any players collection.
- Shipping Weight: 68
- Serial: 19825
- Top Wood: German Spruce
- Back Wood: Indian Rosewood
- Nut Width: 1 3/4"
- Scale: 25 1/2"
- Bracing: Pre-War Scalloped
- Inlays: Modern Diamond
- Rosette: Matching Ivoroid Rosette
- Neck Wood: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Drop-In Saddle
- Bridge: Ebony
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Tuners: NIckel Waverly
- Purfling: Black/white wood strip purfling
- Body Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Fretboard Binding: Double-bound fingerboard and peghead
- Headstock Binding: Double-bound fingerboard and peghead
- Pickguard: Tortoise Style
- Backstrip: 3-Style Backstrip
- Headstock Shape: Solid
- Headstock Inlay: Modern Diamond
- Frets To Body: 14
- Body Depth: 4 1/2"
- Lower Bout Width: 16"
- Body Length: 20 1/8"
- Total Length: 41"
- Case: Hardshell Case Included
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Fully adjustable truss rod