Collings SJ with Sitka Spruce and Mahogany ID-7017
Collings SJ with Sitka Spruce and Mahogany
The SJ is Collings' version of what is commonly called a small Jumbo. Although the 16 inch lower bout is slightly wider than a dreadnought, and the sides almost as deep, the tight curve at the waist creates in a very different sound chamber. The Collings SJs boast a tremendous volume and mid-range response. The beautiful thing about this guitar is it's surprising bass response. Players looking for the bass and overall volume of a large guitar, but with lots of treble clarity and midrange crunch, often find just what they need in the curvaceous Collings SJ.
It pairs Mahogany back and sides with a Sitka Spruce top for a sound that is very crisp and defined with lots of definition. The Sitka Spruce is perfect for players with a lighter pick attack who also play fingerstyle.
Additional appointments include tortoise style top, back, neck and peghead bindings, pre-war scalloped bracing, double bound "Haircut" peghead, Ebony fingerboard with Ebony SJ Style bridge and a Medium-Fat "C" neck profile.
Collings makes guitars with such superb tone and aesthetics. The craftmanship is top notch and comes out in the tone, playability, and feel of their great instrument. This guitar is truly a great one to add to any players collection.
- Shipping Weight: 68
- Serial: 21068
- Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
- Back Wood: Mahogany
- Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Scale: 25 1/2"
- Bracing: Pre-War Scalloped
- Inlays: MOP Modern Diamond
- Rosette: Black/white wood nitrate strip rosette
- Neck Wood: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Ebony 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Drop-In Saddle
- Bridge: Ebony SJ-style bridge
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Tuners: Nickel Schaller mini-tuners with 1:14 ratio
- Purfling: Black/white wood strip purfling
- Body Binding: Tortoise Style
- Fretboard Binding: Tortoise Style
- Headstock Binding: Tortoise Style
- Pickguard: Tortoise Style
- Backstrip: 1-Style Backstrip
- Headstock Shape: Double bound "Haircut" headstock
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Inlaid Collings Logo
- Frets To Body: 14
- Neck Profile: Medium-Fat "C" neck
- Body Depth: 4 1/2"
- Lower Bout Width: 16"
- Body Length: 20 1/8"
- Total Length: 41"
- Case: Hardshell Case Included
- Misc. 1: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Misc. 2: Fully adjustable truss rod
- Misc. 3: Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Misc. 4: Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- Misc. 5: 15 degree headstock angle