Collings SoCo 16 LC Maple with Walnut Stain Finish ID-7088
Collings SoCo 16 LC Maple with Walnut Stain Finish
Bill Collings' and his shop in Austin, Texas has been building some of the finest acoustic guitars for decades and has recently turned his attention to electric guitars. The result has been nothing short of astonishing. He has reinvigorated the industry with his take on classic design. Named after Austin's funky and eclectic South Congress Avenue, the SoCo is all about attitude. This model brings in elements from both the I-35 and CL models to create a unique hybrid that is all its own. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?
Since Collings moved into the electric arena in 2006, Bill has had an interest in the role that laminate woods play in the tone of classic semi-hollow electrics and jazz guitars, and it was only a matter of time before he delved into a new variation. After much research and experimentation, and a few dissected classic guitars later... they are ready to introduce this exciting new line of electric guitars.
As the latest addition to the SoCo series, the semi-hollow SoCo 16 LC features high quality laminate construction and a larger 16" body size. Built with vintage tone in mind, the larger single cutaway design and laminate materials provide an even and focused tonal response with added warmth for single-line soloing. This Collings SoCo16 model features a flared headstock and is finished off with a gorgeous Walnut Stained finish.
Compared to the solid wood semi-hollow models, the laminate construction sends more controlled information to the pickups, allowing Collings to use higher output electronics. These guitars feature the standard Lollar Imperials, as opposed to the low-wind Imperials used in the other Collings models. This creates tone that is evenly balanced with the smooth response that many players look for in arched top electric guitars. We wouldn't describe the tone of the laminate guitars as being better or worse than the solid equivalent. Instead, they should be viewed as two different guitars with two different sets of tonal characteristics.
Collings collaborates with Jason Lollar for all their pickup designs. While the particular pickups they use are specially wound to Collings specifications, they are very near in design to the Lollar standard Imperial Humbucking models. Lollar manages to capture the airy top end, tight lows, balanced mid-range, and complex overtones of the best original PAF pickups.
- Shipping Weight: 68
- Serial: SOCO16LC12065
- Top Wood: Maple
- Back Wood: Maple
- Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Scale: 24 7/8"
- Inlays: Dots
- Neck Wood: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Rosewood 12" fingerboard radius
- Nut Material: Bone
- Bridge: Tonepros AVR-II bridge and tailpiece
- Tuners: Nickel Gotoh SG301 tuners w/ vintage-style buttons 1:18 ratio
- Purfling: Purfling
- Body Binding: Aged White Binding
- Headstock Shape: Deluxe Flared Headstock
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Headstock Inlay: Collings Logo
- Neck Profile: Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- Body Length: 16"
- Pickup(s): 2 Lollar Imperial Humbuckers
- Pickup Controls: Cream pickup rings and black or amber top hat knobs
- Case: Ameritage Hardshell Case Included
- Misc. 1: Slim contour F-holes
- Misc. 2: Hand Set Mortise and Tenon Neck Joint
- Misc. 3: Inset maple center block
- Misc. 4: Walnut Stain
- Misc. 5: 15 degree headstock angle
- Misc. 6: Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Misc. 7: Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- Misc. 8: CTS 500K pots and Xicon caps
- Misc. 9: 1950's Style wiring scheme
- Misc. 10: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Misc. 11: Switchcraft toggle switch and output jack