Maton Vera May 808
Maton Vera May Special 808
The matriarch of Maton Guitars and the wife of founder Bill May, Vera May, turns 100. To celebrate, Maton is set to release one of the most beautiful guitars they've ever produced this October. This new guitar is not only a superb instrument, but also a very special part of Maton’s story.
The 808 sized body is bound with ebony and inner pinstripe bindings. The rosette has been carefully designed to match, also featuring ebony and pinstripe rings.
The soundboard of the Vera May is made from Lutz Spruce, a naturally occurring hybrid of Sitka Spruce and White Spruce (a close relative of Engelmann Spruce). As often occurs with natural hybrids, Lutz has a certain amount of “hybrid vigor”, combining the best elements of both trees.
The result is a soundboard with the stiffness of Sitka but with a little less density. This results in a greater balance of subtle overtones which is a delightful combination in a smaller bodied guitar like the Vera May.
The Blackwood back, sides and neck are finished in our special tuned satin finish, providing all the warmth and mid-range that the Maton 808 series is famous for.
The fingerboard and bridge are made from streaky ebony, a material Maton has come to love for its strength, stability and tone as well as its earthy beauty. The fingerboard features snowflake inlays and a 12th fret Vera May signature block inlay .
The Vera May also comes with an AP5 Pro pickup system and case (First 100 Guitars will come with a limited edition Ivory Hiscox Case)
Maton Vera May 808 Spec:
- Model: Vera May
- Body Shape: 808
- Face: "AAA" Lutz Spruce
- Back and Sides: "AA" Blackwood
- Neck: Blackwood
- Fingerboard & Bridge: Streaky Ebony
- Face Inlay/Rosette: Ebony With Rings
- Sound Hole: 95 mm
- Bracing: Scalloped Maton X
- Inner Binding: 5 Ply W/B/W/B Purfling
- Outer Binding: Ebony with Rock Maple Pinstripe
- Scale Length: 64.77cm (25.5")
- Headstock Veneer: Vera May - Blackwood Sides - Ebony Wedge
- Fretwire: Dunlop 6260
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fingerboard Radius: 304.8mm (12")
- Nut Width: 44.1mm (1.736" - 1 47/64")
- 14th Fret: Width 55mm (2.165" - 2 11/64")
- Fingerboard Inlays: Snowflakes With 12th Fret Block Inlay
- Back & Sides Finish: Natural Satin lacquer
- Top Finish: Natural UV High Gloss
- Bridge Pins: Ivory ABS
- Machine Heads: Gold Grover RotoMatic
- Pickguard: Black with Gold M
- End Pin/Strap: Gold
- Nut & Saddle: Bone
- Case: Standard Maton Hard Shell Case
- Pickup: AP5 PRO
- Strings: Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 12-53